My Best Friend
Theme : World of Self, Family and Friends
Topic : My Best Friend
Level : Primary
Skills : Writing
Learning Outcome : Listen to and follow simple dication
Acquire range of adjectives for describing a person
Change texts to personalize them
Practice group writing
Resources : Sheets of A4 paper, at least one per student
Pictures of people
Warm up :
~ Write the word ‘friends’ on the board. Ask the class how they would describe their friend,
“Is she/he big, small, pretty, or strong”, “Is she/he nice, happy, sad?” etc. Brainstorm
as a whole class. Write their choices on the board.
~ Ask the students what these words are, adjectives. Explain that we use adjectives to
describe someone or something.
~ Write a sample text on the board using adjectives suggested by the class,
My best friend is called __________. She/He is 9 years old. She/He __________hair
and __________ eyes. She/He __________( thin / tall / small etc.) She/He is __________ and __________ ( happy / clever / funny etc. ) Her/His favorites hobby is __________.
~ Tell the class that they are going to do a dictation and then draw a monster that they will later write about.
- Distribute A4 paper, one sheet to each student.
- Tell the students they will be doing a dictation, but first teacher want them to write down some thing. They should write down their ideas, not what their partners write.
- Ask them to write down a man’s or woman’s name. Ask them to write down a number between 1 and 100. Ask them to write down a colour. Ask them to write down another colour. Ask them to write down an adjective of physical description and also ask them to write down a character adjective. Ask them to write down a hobby.
- Now tell them that they will do the dictation. Dictate the text as before,
"My best friend is called __________.( They must write down the name that they choose ). She/He is __________ ( They must write down the number that they choose ) years old. She/He has _________ ( They must write down the colour that they choose) hair and __________ ( They must write down the colour that they choose) eyes. She/He __________ ( They must write down the adjective that they choose) and __________( They must write down the characteristic they choose). His/Her favourite hobby is __________( They must write down the hobby that they choose)."
- Ask the students to show their partners their texts. Ask some of them what their choices were. Who has the oldest friend? What colour hair has their friend got, etc?
- Explain that they now have to rewrite the text to make it true about their real best friend. They need to change all the words that are wrong. They should do this in groups to help each other.
- When students have finished writing, ask them to show their work to their partners. Are there any spelling mistakes? Are their descriptions the same?