Do you know that you don't have to rescue someone from a burning building or save a drowning person to be a hero? Neither do you have to be famous nor grown up. Kids like you can be heroes too! Heroes have qualities such as courage, a sense of responsibility, determination and honesty. Here are some of the things you can do to be your own hero:
1. Help the elderly around the neighbourhood. Help them cross the road or water their plants.
2. Help your friends when they have difficulty understanding the subjects learnt in school.
3. Help to keep the environment clean by picking up rubbish thrown on the ground.
4. Help your parents with household chores.
5. Volunteer your time at an animal shelter or nursing home.
What are some other ways you can help people around you? Aim to do one good deed this week and be a hero yourself!
Quote about heroes
" A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around" - Edgar Watson Howe, American novelist and editor
"A hero is a man who does what he can" - Romain Rolland, French dramatist and novelist
"The ordinary man is involved in action, the hero acts " - Henry Miller, American novelist